Thank you everyone for participating and especially to all of our wonderful volunteers in this years Capitol Peak 50 mile and 55km. We couldn't do it without all of a volunteers, especially to the Friends of Capitol Forest (FOCF) and the South Puget Sound Mobile Search and Rescue (SPSMSAR)!! We are once again proud to donate our proceeds to FOCF for all the generous support on the trails in Capitol Forest and for their continued support at the race at Falls "Tequila Bar" Creek. And to SPSMSAR for their continued support in radio communication at the race and for acting as the leading SAR team throughout Capitol Forest.
As many of you are aware the 50 mile and 55k course was the same course for the past 3 years. This year the weather was also very cooperative with stellar views of Mt Rainier, St Helens and the Olympics! Here is a race recap.
The 50 mile course was fast and furious with many impressive finishes!
- 87 finished the 50 mile
- The 50 mile had 2 senior finishers including: John Zeier and Mike Kuhlmann
- 5 year finishers for the 50 mile include: Thomas Riley and Glenn Mangiantini
- The women's 50 mile race was amazing! Darla Askew set a new course record of 7:45:58, winning by over an hour! Genia Kacey took second with a time of 8:45. Wendy Wheeler-Jacobs placed 3rd women (9:19).
- The men's 50 mile race was also impressive. Zach Gingerich won with a time of 6:58:48. Zach took the lead in the last 6 miles of the race. Brandon Sullivan placed 2nd (7:01) followed by Aaron Ray for 3rd (7:16).
The 55k also had impressive finishes...
- 51 finished the 55Km.
- The 55k had 6 senior finishers including: Wild Bill Voiland (our T-shirt guru!) and Clem Lacava
- The 5 year finisher for the 55k goes to Juan Dominguez
- Benoit Gignac from Vancouver, BC won by over 30 minutes with a time of 4:25:01! Followed by Phil Kochik for 2nd (4:57) and Patrick Johnson for 3rd (4:59)
- Krystal Seger won for the women with a time of (5:44:21) and 2nd was Shamai Larsen (5:56) and third was Iris Priebe (6:35).
We are indebted to many volunteers who also came forward to participate in this years 50 mile and 55km.
Those that came to aid in trail work efforts in February, March and April include:
Rob Dengel, Jen Edwards, Melissa and Matt Klungle, Dave Molenaar, David Mora, John Pearch, Heidi Perry, Herb Reeves, Jim Szumila, Brandon Williams, and the Friends of Capitol Forest. All made a huge effort in getting the trails cleared this year in Capitol Forest!
- Course Markers: Jen Edwards, Patrick Johnson, David Mora, Dave Molenaar and other Olympia Trail Runners
- Thursday Packet stuffing party: Heidi Perry, Herb Reeves, David Mora, Dave Molenaar, Kris Ryding, Rob Dengel, Ulrike Krotscheck, Jim Holbrooks, Melissa and Matt Klungle and Julie Kamerrer
- Soup Prep: Bill and Helene Pearch (my wonderful parents!)
- Packet Pickup at South Sound Running: Heidi Perry, Kris Ryding, Karen and George Wiggins, Jen Edwards
- Thanks also to South Sound Running for letting us once again use their store as a packet pickup location!
- David Snyder and FOCF for setting up their event tent on Friday
- Aid Station supplier, driving and setting up aid stations: Kent Holder and Kris Ryding
- Race Day Registration: Roger Michel, Rob Dengel and Julie Kamerrer
- Post race meal: my parents wonderful parents Bill and Helen Pearch, Heidi Perry and Jim Szumila
- Photographer: Glenn Tachiyama on Capitol Peak summit
- Aid Station A1/A9: David Mora, Holly Knowles, Kathleen Krouse and SPSMSAR
- Aid Station A2/A8: Eric Klunder, Josh Morse and FOCF and SPSMSAR
- Aid Station A3/A4: Melissa and Matt Klungle, Ulrike and Jim, Anne Larsen and SPSMSAR
- Aid Station A5/A7: Rick Blacker, Olga Nevtrinos, Nicolay Anikevich, Marge Kohm, Michelle Roose and SPSMSAR
- Aid Station A6 turnaround: Kris Ryding, Tho Le and Laurie Rich and SPSMSAR
- Sweepers: Dave Molenaar (1st 30), Kris Ryding (last 20 miles), Brandon Williams (Capitol Peak to Falls)
- Finish line Timing: Tony Seabolt, David Mora, Greg Bargmann and Allen Skytta
- Thanks also to Route 16 for letting us borrow their clock and other gear for timing.
- Thanks also to Ultra Signup and Mark Gilligan for providing their excellent timing system!
- Hammer Nutrition
- Scott Sports
- South Sound Running
- Route 16 Running and Walking
- Seven Hills Running Shop
- The Balanced Athlete
- Ultra Signup
- Ultrarunning Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine and the Trail Runner Trophy Series
- Roger Michel and Evergreen Trail Running
- San Francisco Street Bakery
- Pat Ackley and Starbucks
- Olympia Food Coop
- Wild Bill Graphics (for printing the tshirts)
- Mug Revolution (hand crafted age group mugs)
Thanks also to the Washington State Department of Natural Resources for continued support and permitting this event!
And to USATF for sanctioning this event!
Results, Photos and stories about the race can be found here:
Please let me know if you would like to add your blog with any stories about your experience at Capitol Peak!
If you would like to purchase a high resolution photograph, please see Glenn Tachiyamas photos:
Thanks for your support in making Capitol Peak another successful race! See you all next year for the 10th Anniversary!!
RD- Capitol Peak Ultras